The right distributor is the link between the best manufacturers and the resellers. As a distributor for resale businesses, Ingram Micro holds the largest range of manufacturers and categories. In 2015, the distributor ranked 62 on the Fortune 500 global list and has approximately 200,000 customers around the world.
Based in California, the company’s supply chain solutions enable its business partners to meet the challenges in the reseller market. Ingram Micro also offers its partners an unparalleled supply of expertise and resources to help businesses grow, as well as a dedicated team of customer service specialists who provide quick responses.
- How to Start an Online Reselling Business With Ingram Micro?
- 1. Research The Product Line
- The company has a strong product portfolio that includes:
- 2. Set Up An Account/Register
- 3. Gather All The Product Information
- 4. Decide How You Plan To Sell
- 5. Set Up an eCommerce Store
- 6. Open Cash and Credit Accounts
- 7. Choose Shipping Model – VARStreet Instant Dropshipping Facility
- 8. Share Serial/Tracking Number With Customers
- 9. Send Invoice To The Customer
- Start Selling Ingram Micro Products with VARStreet
How to Start an Online Reselling Business With Ingram Micro?
With Ingram Micro being one of the world’s largest distributors of computer hardware, software, and technology supplies, it’s no wonder that many entrepreneurs want to start an online reselling business with them.
Here are 9 steps on how you can start an online reselling business with Ingram Micro:
1. Research The Product Line
From the wide range of products that Ingram Micro offers, your focus spans certain products depending on your target market. Here, the product research comes into the picture. In this section, we will give you an idea of the market and product segments covered by Ingram Micro.
The company has a strong product portfolio that includes:
Accessories: Computer Cases, Port Replicator Dock, Racks, Remote Control Dev, etc.
Cables: Audio & Video Cables, Power Cables, USB Cables
Networking/communication: Commun/Network Accs, Kvm Switch Cable Acc, Kvm Switch Entry, Lan Switch Layer 2, etc.
Consumables: Aud/Vid/Camcor Tape, Color Laser Toner, Ink, Inkjet Paper, Large Format Ink, Laser Fusing Staple, etc.
Consumer electronics: Air Purifiers, Boombox, Home Headphone, TV/Audio Tuners, Vacuum Cleaner, and more.
Hard Drive/Optical: Cd-Recordable Drives, Flash Reader/Writer, Hard Drive/Opt Accs, Mobile Drives.
Input: Input Device Accessories, Keyboard.
Memory Processors: Flash Memory, Generic Memory, Motherboard, USB Storage Media, etc.
2. Set Up An Account/Register
The next step is to set up a reseller account with Ingram Micro. Here’s a list of criteria you have to fulfill to get an authorized reseller account:
- It is mandatory to be a reseller of IT equipment or services to become an Ingram Micro reseller. In the absence of a reseller license, your application will be denied.
- Ingram Micro will only work with you if you agree to purchase a minimum number of orders from them each year. For instance, in the UK, the company requires its resellers to forward orders of at least 9000 pounds per year.
- A representative from Ingram Micro reviews your account regularly to ensure you meet the minimum order quantity requirement, failing which, your account can be terminated.
- Reseller applications are valid from all states in the US, except for New York, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, West Virginia, Wyoming, Indiana, and Virginia. You need to fill out a state-specific application form if your business is registered in any of these states.
Once you’re sure you meet the reseller requirements, apply for an Ingram Micro account here.
Select your country via the drop-down menu and fill out the form. Be sure to submit all relevant documentation with the application. Include the following business details:
- Legal business name
- Business trade name(s); DBA
- Business address and phone number
- Type of business as registered with your state
- General description of the business
- State sales registration number of each state in which you are licensed for reselling
- Signature of owner or officer signing application
- Name and title of the person signing the certificate
- Signed Date certificate
3. Gather All The Product Information
eCommerce is all about retaining customers by offering them a clear buying experience. Which underlines the value of quality eCommerce catalog management.
Resellers should make sure their catalogs clearly describe products and provide prices, hierarchy, suppliers, and other associated information.
- Break down silos
- Keep internal and external stakeholders informed on the catalog management process.
- Define roles and authorization flows for updating the database.
- Incorporate upsell/cross-sell tactics
- Tag all product descriptions uniformly to offer a dynamic search experience.
4. Decide How You Plan To Sell
Once you’re done with establishing niche and audience information for your product, you have to decide who and how you want to sell. The three major business models for reselling businesses are:
- B2C (Business to Consumer) – this is the most common way of selling online and involves selling directly to consumers who are typically ordering for their personal use.
- B2B (Business to Business) – this is when companies sell products or services directly to other businesses. This can be a good option if you want to work with a narrow range of customers who are more likely to buy from you than from other vendors.
- B2G (Business to Government) – if your product or service is aimed at government agencies or institutions, then this could be a good option for your business.
Whichever method you choose, ensure that it works best for you and will help you achieve your goals.
5. Set Up an eCommerce Store
If you want to sell online, but don’t want to build your eCommerce website, the best robust platform that offers you VARStreet’s online ecommerce integration with Ingram Micro can be an easy and affordable way to get started. This integration offers all the necessary tools and services to start selling online from scratch and take your reselling business a notch up.
- Direct Access to the Ingram Micro Catalog with daily auto-updates.
- Real-Time Availability and Pricing available in one window
- Well-synced sales quoting software to ensure accurate pricing
- Instant Dropshipping Facility
- Free Rich Content for Website
- Electronic Order Placement
- Immediate Customer Support
6. Open Cash and Credit Accounts
Once an order is received, you will need to place purchase orders with Ingram Micro. You need to understand the various payment options they offer including credit.
Fill out the ‘Cash Account Application’ form to apply for an Ingram Micro Cash Account. Resellers can make payments through cash accounts using credit cards, e-fund transfers, or direct deposits. Cash accounts will not be shipped until Ingram Micro receives payment from its reseller.
As part of the Ingram Micro distribution network, resellers can also open credit accounts to purchase goods and services on credit from the distributor. To establish a Commercial Credit Account with Ingram Micro, resellers must provide the company with detailed information about personal assets and liabilities, as well as submit an application form.
7. Choose Shipping Model – VARStreet Instant Dropshipping Facility
Ingram Micro offers dropshipping to its resellers so that you don’t have to handle, store and ship any inventory yourself. VARStreet online eCommerce integration with Ingram Micro ensures that the product catalog is synced to your eCommerce store with the pre-negotiated prices and terms. After an order is placed by a customer on the VARStreet platform, Ingram Micro dropships the items directly to the customer.
This real-time eCommerce catalog management ensures that you can start selling immediately and focus your resources on marketing and growing your business.
The last thing you want to do is lose track of your inventory and have it go out the door without being paid for. To avoid this, you need to be sure to share the serial number and tracking number with your customers when they make a purchase.
The solution is to use VARStreet’s SMB eCommerce platform, which allows you to share all of your sales data, including serial numbers, with customers in a secure environment. In addition to helping you keep track of sales, it also provides useful analytics so that you can see which products are selling well and which ones aren’t performing as expected.
9. Send Invoice To The Customer
After the customer pays for the product, you need to send them an invoice for the purchase. This way, they have a record of their purchase and you have proof that they paid for it. VARStreet SMB eCommerce platform provides an automated invoice generating tool to help you generate invoices based on purchase orders. You can also add tax, shipping, and insurance charges to the order if needed.
Start Selling Ingram Micro Products with VARStreet
– Instant access to the Ingram Micro online catalog
– A revolutionary platform that gives you access to 45+ IT distributors
– No plugins are required as your entire catalog will be auto-updated to your eCommerce store and quoting application.
– 1.6 Million SKUs from Ingram Micro fully mapped into VARStreet along with rich content.
– Standard categorizing of all products for easy search and better buying experience.So, what are you waiting for? Start reselling Ingram Micro Products with VARStreet today!